THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

What love is..

A high school student showed me what love is today.

There's a girl in one of my student's classes who has always impressed me.  Let's call her Ann.  I've heard her quoting the Bible a lot, I've seen Ann stand up for her faith in our class making it obvious that she is a professed Christian.  Ann is one of the few girls in the class that dresses appropriately and she sits in the front, answers all the questions, and never gets in trouble.  There's another boy...from all outward appearances he is her complete opposite.  We'll call him Drew.  He sits in the very back where he texts under the table.  Drew is a freshman and has earrings and a tattoo.  I've already seen him go to the principal's office twice for pranking people.

Today when the teacher was reading off names for a group activity I heard Ann's name and was excited!  I knew that someone in my group would talk to my student and include him with Ann in the group.  I was so excited that I barely even knew that Drew was in the group too.  Get ready for it!  Here's the part about love.



I sat at that table for an hour and watched Ann say absolutely nothing to my student, I saw her not only not encourage him but ignore him altogether, I saw her insist that they not include him because he would make their group slower.  I was so disgusted that I left the table for a break....when I came back I saw someone kneeling down beside my student.  It was Drew.  Drew was talking to him about his favorite sports teams.  I was even more shocked when I saw drew take hold of my student's hands and help him finish painting his part of the project while talking about how involved Drew is in a youth group.

At the end of the class my student told me it was his favorite thing about high school and he was excited to come back.  Ann's scripture quoting, straight A's, modest dress, and boldness about her faith are awesome....but none of those things made an impact on my kid.  Drew's love did.

When I have kids.....I'd rather have a Drew than an Ann.

0 comments: